Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Questions from Jesus

This morning I was reading in John 6 when Jesus was about to feed the 5,000. Jesus was with his disciples and a large crowd was following behind them because they had seen how Jesus had been healing the sick. They went on top of the mountain and looked at the crowd coming and Jesus said to Philip, "Where are we to buy bread so that these people may eat?" I love this question. I can just picture them all sitting together talking and then seeing this crowd coming and then one of the asks this question. But not just one of them asks the question- Jesus asks the question. Phillip answers, "Two hundred denarii would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a little." Immediately Phillip heard this question and began trying to figure out a plan, then got overwhelmed, and had doubt (maybe even some sarcasm). He questioned back Jesus without even seeing Jesus. There are times in my life when God asks me to do things and I try to work out a plan and then get frustrated and give up. I try my way first instinctively without asking God what His way is first. Or how about with money? When God asks us to bless someone or something unexpected comes up we try to figure out how to do it without believing God provides. It's like Jesus asks us, knowing what the answer is but trying to teach us to believe in Him first before ourselves. Jesus knew He was about to feed the 5,000. I want to be a person that walks hand in hand with Jesus through this life. When we come upon something that does not look possible to get through- I don't want him to have to ask me, "Maris how are we going to get through this?" I want to look at Him first and say, "what are your suggestions?"

No comments: